Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Why Violence

well i din't do much of anything last week, started playing some league of legends, played alot of mario kart wii on Sunday. last night all i did was watch tv, not something i usually do but USA has alot of good shows. so that's how i wasted my night instead of writing my blog. sorry for being late.

so last week i talked about fantasy novels and their magic and violence. today i want to take a step out of the books and just address violence in the geek world as a whole. now not everything we geeks do, or watch is violent but alot if not most probably are. anime and manga usually have lots of ninja or somehow super powered fighters fighting. (least the ones guys read, cant sa for sure about the girls). pen and paper games like D&D's soul purpose is to kill random encounters to gain xp and beat the storyline. yes you could try to do the whole campaign with diplomacy checks but the majority of people are not going to do that. and video games.... well there are alot with violence and alot with done, personally i prefer the ones that have violence of some sort. even mario kart i would say is violent ( you can disagree with me on that if you want) you are shooting people no matter how cute and fun the bullets are.

so alot of geeks are surrounded by violence. is this an okay thing? is it what you do with the input you receive that makes it right or wrong. or are there different types of violence with some being ok?

let me know what you think in the comments below

1 comment:

Brent Schroeder said...

I think it could be different for each person. For a child that is very impressionable to be playing violent video games is far worse than a young adult such as yourself to be playing violent video games. I play Modern Warfare 2, sometimes for an hour or more each day, and I would not consider myself a violent person. However, when I was younger I noticed that I was angry a lot more and more aggressive when I played a lot of violent video games.

On the flip side, there are violent recreational activities and sports such as football, mixed martial arts, and paintball. You hear about it all the time when someone in football "just wants to hit somebody." It's in the name of the sport but it's still violent so what do you think about that? Or in paintball you're literally shooting someone and inflicting harm on them. It's still exciting and fun, but do you think it's too far?

Though I do know that I get more angry when I play Modern Warfare 2 -- not because of the violence, but because every other match is a disconnect. ahsflpkhdsgkjaepwgoqkegk